Effortless Fruit Platz Bars, my mom used to call this Fruit Platz, is made with leftover fruit. This one is made with end of season peaches and plum sauce.
Yep, it’s considered a coffee cake, it’s an old mennonite recipe.
- 1 cup flour (regular wheat or Gluten free)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk (yogurt or buttermilk)
- 1 fresh egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9X13 pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cut the butter in with a pastry blender until it the butter is like oatmeal in the mix.
- Combine milk, egg and vanilla and stir into flour mixture until just combined.
- Spread into the prepared pan.
- Top with finely diced fresh or frozen fruit of your choice . We prefer a tart fruit like rhubarb or halved Italian Plums but you can use other fruits as well. You should use enough diced fruit to cover the batter in a single layer or enough plums to use a half plum per slice of platz.
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
For my crumb topping I added oatmeal and used brown sugar with lots of cinnamon that is the only difference between the original fruit platz recipe and the one that I used. A date bar recipe works too.
To read more Mennonite recipes the girls can cook website have many recipes. http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2008/06/platz.html
Did you make this recipe? Leave you comment below and let us know how it turned out.